Terms and Conditions
V-CRIS License Conditions of Use
- The license is non-exclusive and revocable.
- The license is non-transferable. Sharing of account access information, including usernames and passwords, and/or restricted information, will result in termination of organizational account privileges.
- The Subscriber understands and acknowledges that release of precise locations may threaten archaeological and historic resources. Locations of cultural resources may be sensitive per Code of Virginia §2.2-3705.7 (10), the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), and the Archaeological Resources Protection Act (ARPA). Subscriber shall take reasonable precautions to ensure the security of site locations.
- Locational information/Map services are for internal use of authorized organizations only. The services or information derived from this service are not for use on public websites and/or dissemination to the general public without DHR authorization.
- Prior to creation of materials for public use that incorporate information derived from V-CRIS, such as publications, websites or other documents for general distribution, subscribers must consult with DHR Archives.
- The Subscriber will identify "Virginia Department of Historic Resources" as data source on any map or publication using DHR’s data. Subscribers will also include the date the data was obtained from DHR.
- The Subscriber will provide DHR with a copy of any reports or printed materials prepared using DHR data.
- Although DHR maintains high standards of data quality control, DHR makes no warranty that the data are necessarily accurate or complete. Data is provided “as-is.” It is the responsibility of the Subscriber to confirm any and all information contained in the digital records.
- The Subscriber understands and acknowledges that these data are provided for planning and assessment purposes only. As not all historic resources have been systematically identified for the entire Commonwealth, the absence of certain historic resources in V-CRIS does not mean that no such historic properties are present.
- Obtaining information on previously recorded historic properties does not constitute review under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. If a project is federally funded, licensed, or assisted, the federal agency may require you to obtain DHR comment under Section 106. This is a separate process and cannot be accomplished solely by either an archives search or accessing inventory data on-line. If you are requesting a review of your project on behalf of a federal agency, contact DHR’s division of Review and Compliance.
- The Subscriber shall pay agreed charges within thirty (30) days of billing by DHR. Organizational accounts in delinquent status are subject to automatic deactivation. Access to the system will be restored upon DHR’s receipt of payment in full by check (once the check has cleared) or money order. Payments are not refundable. Subscribers failing to remit payment in a timely manner may be placed in pre-pay status for future transactions with DHR.
- For entities other than Virginia state and local government agencies, the Subscriber will indemnify and hold DHR and its officers and employees harmless against any claims by third parties arising out of the use by the Subscriber of the data provided.
- DHR reserves the right to refuse or terminate the V-CRIS subscription of any Subscriber based on violations of the conditions of use as outlined in this agreement, suspicion of criminal activity, or any abuse of Subscriber privileges deemed as inappropriate or unethical.
This is the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof. It shall be construed in accordance with the law of the Commonwealth of Virginia and may be amended only in writing signed by both parties.
This system is the property of the Commonwealth of VA. Only persons authorized shall be allowed access to this system. Those permitted access shall use this system ONLY for purposes for which they have been authorized. ALL access and usage on this system is logged. ANY unauthorized access, use, or abuse of this system or the information contained therein shall be reported to appropriate authorities for investigation and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
All information provided by DHR via the V-CRIS application is made available for the convenience of authorized users. While DHR believes the information to be reliable, human or mechanical error remains a possibility. Therefore, DHR does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or correct sequencing of the information. Neither DHR nor any of the sources of the information shall be responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the use or results obtained from the use of this information.
By pressing "I agree", you agree to the terms and conditions stated above.